Steinbeck and Rickett's used to go collecting in the tide pools around Monterey. Reading my post about writing and Cannery Row, you might also remember the the metaphor of a tide pool is the essential metaphor for Cannery Row throughout the book. At our lecture preparing us for the experience, the scientist discussed the importance of looking slowly at details instead of surveying the vistas. This goes against human inclinations, and he challenged us to spend 5 minutes at two different times staring quietly at the same tide pool. The animals living in the pools can feel our approach, sense our shadows, and taste our presence in the water. They need time to adjust to us, and we notice more as we watch the interactions that unfold under the water.
(Bird rock that's appeared in the distance in many of my photos. 6am was the low-low tide of the day.)
Tidepools are also a metaphor for Steinbeck's writing on a larger scale. He cared about symbiosis in communities, and the ways that different species rely on each other. Both he and Ricketts challenged the status quo of organizing (sterilized preserved) animals by phylum, categorization and instead found value in observing living communities. You can see this theme of community design and survivability in all of his fiction and nonfiction writings. Steinbeck observed communities, human and aquatic, in their natural environments, and he let their actions speak for themselves.
5 comments:
I envy you this opportunity. In high school, I did a project on a pond near my house and loved it. I think I'm a closet scientist.
Amazing! I am jealous and so happy that you had this oportunity. The ocean is so addictive and beautiful. It is so easy to be drawn in to the amazing array of life that calls it home! I love that you mentioned colonial tunicates!
It was such a shock to rock for a rock and feel the texture of the tunicate. I'm so used to learning about animals by sight, not by touch! And I can't deny that there was a lot of anenome baiting during our time there as well.
It makes me think about how great it is that Saint Stephen's students have the chance to go out at Robinson and see some of the animals there (although that certainly doesn't provide the variety of exciting animals that your tide pools did).
Robinson Preserve might be in the cards for Sunday. But it's a different experience when you're not sure if what you're viewing is alive or not. Although the tree of spoonbills and beach of crabs have both been highlights there.
Post a Comment