Don't passively accept the first source.
Use the databases that the school pays for.
See if you're looking at causation or correlation.
As I recently read an article about research on ebooks and culture, I came across this statistic. Approximately 58% of Japanese people say that they would never read an ebook, while the number was 4% for Chinese respondants.
Does being Japanese cause you to not read (or at least intend to read) ebooks? I'd say not. You can read the article or take the highlights. http://www.thebookseller.com/news/japan-rejecting-e-books-claims-report.html
Parsing through the rest of the article, I learned:
-the study didn't account for the high number of Japanese people living in rural areas, where the digital divide is great.
-the study didn't take into account age, and 22% of Japan's population is 65 or older.
-the study didn't fully account for the ways that digital reading devices influence the reading experience.
There's potentially a causal relationship in expectations of quality, and it's possible now that the digital experience of reading does not equal the print experience. Here's a telling quote from a CEO of a digital publishing house:
I think users sense the lack of maturity in the e-book market and users are not being tempted to try e-books in large numbers rather than that they are trying them, rejecting them and going back to print. In a nutshell, Japanese consumers are pro-tech but even more pro-quality.
No comments:
Post a Comment