So, as a consolation prize for offering information about my reading habits, I'm able to see statistics about them. Since the last book I bought for myself was ....ummmm....ummmm...I support libraries....not memorable, at least I know that they are not influencing my purchasing habits. I'm aware that the comparison of my reading patterns to those of a group that voluntarily signed up for a book tracking website gives me no additional information about the reading patterns of Americans as a whole. That said, I'm a little surprised about the alignment between my reading and the group's.
Finally, getting to the point that inspired this the other day, I can see my own rating patterns over time and within genres. For instance, I may think that I like travel books, but of the 20 that I've read, only 1 received a 5. (It was Behind the Beautiful Forevers. When I picked it up, I didn't realize that it wasn't a fictionalized account of true events. It's devastating in it's treatment of Indian poverty throughout recent industrialization.) Proportionally, there should only be 2 5-star books, but there aren't that many 4's either.
Since I read a lot, I'm not surprised that most books are 3's. If you don't particularly inspire me and you aren't particularly memorable, automatic 3. 4's and 2's swing one way or the other. Some books get 5's because they are enjoyable, and others because I think they are well-written and I learned a lot. It's hard to get a 1. Are there typos or incorrect "facts?" Is it just too pompous to be taken seriously? You don't want to be a 1. (As I look through the list, I'm groaning in remembrance of 13 of the 14. The final was the first book in a trashy teen series that I devour from the Catonsville library every time I go home to see my parents. It's not particularly literary, but I forgot that there was ever a point when I wasn't entertained by it. Memory, thy fickle friend.)
Though it's been helpful to me personally and professionally, in no way am I pushing this or other book tracking services. I'm probably asked for book recommendations more than the average person. If you're searching online after this anyway, the site is Shelfari. If you're on the site, find me, and we can follow each other.



1 comment:
Amazing what information you can get. I might be a help to remember which books have been read recently.
Post a Comment