I think this is an important exchange for two reasons. First, tone is so hard to decipher in purely written documents. This is something I teach in digital citizenship classes, but it really comes through in this case. Second, this shows what a good librarian (better than me) can quickly do to help your research.
A student wanted to use a Mike Tyson quotation in his paper, and I told him that he couldn't unless he had it verified on something other than a sports news site. Here is the quotation if you want to play along at home.
"Everyone has a plan/strategy until they’ve been hit/punched (in the face/mouth)”
You have been connected to Bryan W - Pasco County Library System.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: Hi Christina, I would check the footnotes in the bibliography in the back of the book. This will usually state where or when the quote was said originally.
Christina: It's not in a book. It's on business and sports sites. Can't find the original.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: I would try checking the site to see if it is stated anywhere on that site. I would also recommend navigating the Internet a little bit to see where it is mentioned. Youtube may even have interviews that state when and where certain quotes were said.
Christina: Yes, I have done all of that.
Christina: It seems to be an aphorism at this point.
Christina: I have also limited by date to only get earlier references, but there is no original.
Christina: I have also tried quote and phrase dictionaries.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: Well in that case I see what you mean. This may have been a quote that could have been said at anytime or place. There have also been various books written on Mike Tyson that may have that quote in them. However if this is a question based strictly on websites I do not know if that will help. Google Scholar may also work for you, it has a lot of information on various topics.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: Can I help you with anything else today?
Christina: I would still like to find the origin of the quote. There is nothing on google scholar either.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: I will try checking a little bit more hold on
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: It seems like this could have been said anywhere at any time almost like it was never documented.
Christina: okay. Thank you.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: Your welcome. Hope this helped a little.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System: Thank you for using Ask a Librarian, and we hope you come again.
Bryan W - Pasco County Library System has left the session.
Your librarian is experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by while we re-establish contact or find a new librarian...
Please wait while we find a librarian to assist you.
You have been connected to Rhonda T - NWFSC.
Rhonda T - NWFSC: Hello, welcome to Ask a Librarian. I am Rhonda T - NWFSC and I will be assisting you today. Please wait a moment while I consider your question...
Rhonda T - NWFSC: This is the information I found and I will send you the URL
Rhonda T - NWFSC: "Everyone has a plan/strategy until they’ve been hit/punched (in the face/mouth)” is a boxing adage meaning that brutal reality can change even the best of prepared plans. A similar saying exists about military planning—“No plan survives contact with the enemy.” The boxing/military saying has also been used in business, government and other fields. “Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit” has been credited by Wikipedia to the boxer Joe Louis (1914-1981), but it’s not clear if he ever said it.
Brooklyn-born boxer Mike Tyson is most frequently credited with the saying. In October 1987, HBO’s Barry Tompkins quoted Mike Tyson as saying, “They all have a plan...until they get hit.”
The librarian is sending you to http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/everyone_has_a_plan_until_theyve_been_hit_boxing_adage/.
Christina: Thank you!
Rhonda T - NWFSC: It looks like the quote is from the 1930-40s and was by Joe Louis.
Christina: Wow. Very interesting. It seemed like sloppy journalism that no one mentioned where the quotation originated.
Rhonda T - NWFSC: They get changed - that is the power and craziness of the Internet. One sec. I may have more.
The librarian is sending you to http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/joelouis.htm.
Rhonda T - NWFSC: trying to find the first mention of it
Rhonda T - NWFSC: sorry -
The librarian is sending you to http://www.tysontalk.com/quotes/quotes-by-mike-tyson.
Rhonda T - NWFSC: This is a place it was attributed to Tyson, but there are no references to back it up.
Christina: That makes sense. This is more than I needed. Thank you so much!
Rhonda T - NWFSC: Welcome!
Rhonda T - NWFSC: Thank you for using Ask a Librarian, and we hope you come again.
Thank you for using Ask a Librarian. You may now close this window.
Rhonda, an academic librarian who moonlights at a virtual reference librarian, you made my day. Not only did you find an original source of the quotation, you also directly me to Arlington Cemetery resources for more information.
Use librarians for research help; they give you information!
No comments:
Post a Comment