
As part of our group tour of Tokyo today, we visited a district called Asakusa. This area is one of only a few in the city that survived the bombings of World War II. We enjoyed a tempura lunch, then had free time to explore the stalls, shrines, and the Shinto temple. We were told by our tour guide that it was so crowded today because today was the first day that the temple had been opened in 50 years, and it would only stay open for a month before closing for another
50 years. We were all amazed that we lucked into coming at the right time. Yet, when I tried to verify this online, I found no information indicating this was true. I also found other people's photographs of the temple, indicating that today can't be the first day that it's open to the public again. This is question one of my follow-up today. Does anyone have any further explanations? At the temple, which was beautiful, full of color and intricate carvings, there were indeed masses of people. It was probably about half tourist and half worshipers. The tourists were taking photographs and talking. The Japanese were burning sticks of incense, praying with their heads against poles of ribbons, and throwing coins (?) into a box in front of the main figure. One activity I did take part in was mikuj
i. You put 100 yen in a slot (kind of like in front of devotional candles in a church), ask a question, and shake up a box of sticks (chopstick-shaped). You then pull out one stick and find the corresponding character on a wall of drawers that looks like an old-time card catalog. If your fortune is good, you keep it. If it's bad, you tie it up on a nearby post. I photographed mine before tying it. I hope that doesn't mean the bad energy will follow me on this trip.There's a book in the library (with the new global books) on the Shinto religion. I'm definitely going to look this ritual up in there when I return. Since I'm sure
I got some of the details wrong, if you want to learn more, feel free to check it out. And question two is whether anyone else can shed more light on this tradition.
2 comments:
I have a theory about the temple's spurious closure claims: supply and demand. They are creating the illusion of scarcity to entice more tourists who are worried about missing a limited opportunity. A very shrewd business tactic, indeed!
Or perhaps a very misinformed guide. I'm glad you left your bad luck fortune at the temple. That really was a bad one. Wonder why they have those?
Post a Comment